Senior User Experience Designer
2016/12 to 2017/02
Akamai Technologies Performance Analytics, Cambridge/MA
- Designed a proof-of-concept prototype for a new performance analytics product with a remote, global team.
- Partnered with offshore dev team & product manager; collaborated with stakeholders in a range of time zones.
- Conducted stakeholder interviews, researched competitors and users, documented findings to validate decisions.
- Led design sessions to document stakeholder input for prototype design using online collaboration tools.
- Iterated on data visualization sketches to support data tables.
- Designed an initial visual identity for the new product.
- Developed responsive prototypes to pair with static visual designs, to enable user validation of product concept.
Senior UX Designer
2015/08 to 2016/03
Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Watertown/MA
- Led the responsive web application redesign of a Windows application with a cross-functional team.
- Created HTML/CSS/JS wireframes supporting new mobile and accessibility requirements, fostering stakeholder education and buy-in on responsive design and web application features.
- Assisted the development team by providing production-ready, accessible front-end code.
- Provided rapid prototyping for usability using Foundation.
- Through research, collaboration, and rapid prototyping, determined what content and features are desirable and necessary; adapt design to the still-in-progress corporate standards.
Design Lead (Senior Information Architect, Visual and Interaction Designer, Prototyper)
2013/08 to 2015/01
Fidelity Investments, Boston/MA
- Collaborated with a traditional team on a responsive redesign of the Fidelity.com Accounts & Trade experience, as well as security solutions and prospect lead generation features. I was brought in as a “unicorn” to invigorate and challenge the team, innovate on responsive solutions.
- Primarily focused on interaction and visual design, rapid prototyping, and usability testing of a performant responsive dense data grid.
- Due to the usability and accessibility of the responsive redesign, the Accounts & Trade Positions grid is the most viewed page of Fidelity.com, with a 75% increase in mobile visits.
- Led the responsive redesign of highly trafficked security and lead generation components.
Sr. UI/UX Designer/Developer
2012/06 to 2013/03
Cogo Labs, Cambridge/MA
- Rapidly iterated on a variety of branded identities for responsive applications and HTML emails designed for maximum user interaction.
- Analyzed user data to refine designs, conducted A/B testing to improve performance.
- “Responsified” Motovy.com resulting in a 50% increase in mobile value per arrival.
- Initiated, led, researched, documented, and built a mobile device testing lab and process.
- Collaborated with the lead HTML email designer to craft cutting edge responsive email experiments, leading to better inbox delivery and click-through rates.
- Initiated a lunchtime learning series, featuring 20-minute presentations, allowing staff to hone speaking skills while coworkers gain access to new subjects.
2011/10 to 2012/06
Easy Designs, Chattanooga/TN
- Debugged a cutting-edge HTML5 and CSS3 showcase web application of the Wiki How Survival Kit (a popular Chrome app).
- Developed the responsive Nichols College Prospective Student micro-site.
- Learned responsive and adaptive web design from my web hero, Aaron Gustafson, the owner of Easy Designs, and author of the book Adaptive Web Design.
- Client Spotlight: Easy Designs, Aaron Gustafson
- Wiki How Survival Kit Chrome App
- This was a rare opportunity to work with a personal guru of mine, Aaron Gustafson. I was tasked with front-end development assistance for a web app version of the Wiki How Survival Kit, which also existed as a popular Chrome app. This was a phenomenal experience, as it utilized cutting-edge HTML5 and CSS3 techniques, and didn’t need to provide fallbacks, as it was intended to be a showcase for what the new technology can do. Just like working with Ian MacKaye on that Fugazi show all those years ago, I learned that, indeed, ethics and best practices can co-exist in business. Later, I assisted with the Nichols College Prospective Student Micro-site, which was my introduction to adaptive web design, as opposed to responsive web design.
- Client Spotlight: Delta Dental of Virginia
- On an Aquent / Vitamin T contract and primarily working remotely with the team in Roanoke, Virginia, I implemented and added to designs created by Ironworks, for the redesign of public-facing sites and application interfaces for Delta Dental of Virginia (and Colorado). I worked with a team of asp.net engineers, interfacing with marketing, to meet client goals and champion user needs. The site incorporates CSS3 with graceful degradation for non-modern browsers, providing a consistent experience within each browser.
- Highlight: BostonPHP
- Presented on CSS3 Buttons at the Microsoft NERD Center.
- Client Spotlight: New Spin Design & The Massachusetts Health Connector
- Provided front-end design expertise and development for the redesign of the Massachusetts Health Connector public-facing website and application.
- View redesign of Health Connector
View Client List
- Easy Designs, Aaron Gustafson
- Partners in Health
- Cambridge Health Alliance
- Cheapo Records
- Boston Area Rape Crisis Center
- The Bridge Fund of Massachusetts
- V Design
- New Spin Design and the Massachusetts Health Connector
- Amy Schuyler Clarkson
- Maximize Utility
- Radio Bookmark
- Time-Lag Records
- Wyman’s Pottery
- Additionally, I work with larger organizations, such as Delta Dental and Cogo Labs, providing ui/ux design/development for large-scale applications.
- Technovation 2017 Judge
- Code for Boston
- Mozilla release management
- jQuery design team, past
- New England Give Camp Volunteer
- Design, development for Boston Area Rape Crisis Center
- Honorable Mention in Andy Clarke’s Hardboiled Web Design Business Card Competition
- Management-level experience for a variety of retail businesses ~ The Gap, The Limited, & Banana Republic
- Education Facilitator, Holography ~ MIT Museum
- Assistant to Holographer Harriet Casdin-Silver
- Exhibit Painter/Builder/Assistant/Bookkeeper ~ Children’s Museum of Maine
- Exhibiting Artist ~ Painting, Photography & Music
- Freelance Writer ~ Popwatch, Fresh & Tasty, Cradle
research, design thinking, information architecture, interaction & visual design, branding, identity, prototyping, design strategy, service design, journey mapping, content strategy, persona development
Platforms: Mac & PC
Software: Adobe Creative Suite, Axure, Balsamiq OmniGraffle, Sketch
Additionally: Web standards, accessibility, Section 508 guidelines, ARIA, usability, familiar with SMACSS and BEM naming conventions, Git, version control, Agile and LEAN processes, superior hand skills in drawing, illustration, and photography.
Bachelor of Arts, Applied Art, concentration in Painting & Photography - 1992 - University of Southern Maine, Portland/ME
View List of Conferences and Self-Study
- Roost by Bocoup, Boston/MA - 2012
- Brooklyn Beta, Brooklyn/NY - 2010
- Future of Web Design, NYC/NY - 2008, 2010
- iPhone Design & Development Workshop, Aral Balkan, Future of Web Design, NYC/NY - 2010
- An Event Apart - Boston 2008, Seattle 2010
- Presenting Data and Information, Edward Tufte, Boston/MA - 2010
- Online conferences on CSS3, HTML5, jQuery, accessibility, and responsive web design through Environments for Humans
- W3C Introduction to W3C’s Mobile Web Best Practices, Online - Fall 2009
- Web Design Project Planning: Information Architecture, NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies, NYC/NY - 2009
- Robert McKee’s Story Seminar, NYC/NY - 2009
- Multimedia Independent Study with Holography ~ MassArt, Boston/MA - 2009
Portfolio, password protectedBack to Top